Competitors, please download our Cooks Packet for all your info about the event
Check-In & Cooking Sites
KCBS & NEBs Check-In for all teams
- Thursday, September 21st, from 1:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Friday, September 22nd, from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- Saturday, September 23rd, check-ins for emergencies only
Overnight camping is available for teams and their families only. (Quiet hours: 10:00 PM to 7:00 AM)
Sites will be 30′ x 30′ marked out abutting one another unless extra space was requested. Your work area and equipment should fit within these parameters. All vehicles should be parked in the separate designated parking areas adjacent to the cooking sites except during set-up and break-down periods. Spaces will be assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Each site is limited to 20 amps of power to plug in small lighting and appliances. You must bring your own extension cord, at least 100 feet in length. Generators at individual sites are acceptable. If you do not need any power or have your own generator, please let us know.
Water access will be available. Containers can be used for transport. We do have water hookups on site for hose use.
- Trash will be removed on a regular basis.
- Outdoor porta-potties will be located throughout the field.
- Please bring separate containers for grease and ash. Disposal areas will be available on site.
- Fire extinguishers will be inspected at the time of meat inspection.
- Sanitation (wash, rinse, sanitize) will be checked at meat inspection.
- Proper storage of meat is required. Must be maintained below 40 degrees F or above 140 degrees F.
- Proper handling of food is required. Vinyl or latex gloves should be used.
- Ice will be available on-site for $5.00 per 20lb bag.
- Please keep all alcoholic beverages concealed.
Contest Details & Schedule
NEBS and KCBS Competitions
- NEBS Competition, Saturday, September 23rd, 2017
- KCBS Competition, Sunday, September 24th, 2017
NEBS Competition Details
See the NEBS Rules & Regulations for detailed information governing this competition: www.nebs.org/frequently-asked-questions/grilling-rules/. In order for a competition team to have their scores count towards NEBS Team of the Year honors, the chief cook that signed the contest application for the team must be a paid member of NEBS when the contest takes place and must be present at the competition. Any scores accumulated after the listed chief cook is no longer a member, by a vote of the Board of Directors for non-payment of dues or any other reason, will not count towards NEBS Team of the Year.
NEBS Grilling Contest: The Northeast Barbecue Society Rules will apply for this contest without exceptions. Contestants will be competing in the following categories. Note: All categories require minimum 6 portions for judging.
- Chicken Wings – Deep frying permitted. Any fuel source. Open garnish. At least 6 portions must fit in the 9″ x 9″ provided turn-in container.
- Mystery Meat – Protein will be given to teams on Saturday morning no later than 9 AM. Open garnish. Must fit in the provided 9″ x 9″ turn-in container. Fuel is wood or charcoal only. Deep frying on this category is not permitted.
- Meat Chili – Must be prepared on site. You will be given a 9″ x 9″ covered box with 6 small containers that fit inside the box for the turn-in. These containers are approximately 4oz. No garnish is allowed, but judges will be provided with spoons for tasting the entries. Any fuel source is permitted. This is a meat chili. Beef, pork, chicken, or any other USDA approved meat (or combination of meats) is acceptable. No beans are permitted. Other vegetables may be included, but judges will be instructed that the dish should feature primarily meat.
- Dessert Entry – Anything permitted, but must be prepared on site. Open garnish. Wood or charcoal fuel. Six portions required. A 9″ x 9″ turn-in box will be provided, and must be turned in with your entry; however, you are permitted to supply your own open platter as long as it doesn’t exceed 12″ x 18″.
NEBS Cook’s Meeting – Friday, September 22nd, at 5:00 PM PM
Saturday, September 23rd
- 11:00 AM: NEBS Judges Meeting
- 12:00 PM: Chicken Wing Turn-In
- 12:30 PM: Mystery Meat Turn-In
- 1:00 PM: Meat Chili Turn-In
- 1:30 PM: Dessert Turn-In
- 3:00 PM: NEBS Grilling Awards Ceremony
KCBS Competition Details
The KCBS BBQ contest is sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society and abides by all KCBS rules & regulations. Contestants will be competing in the following categories: Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork, and Brisket. Awards and prize money will be presented for Grand Champion and Reserve Champion, as well as from 1st through 10th place in each individual category. See the KCBS Rules & Regulations for detailed information governing this competition: www.kcbs.us/downloads/rules_reg_2017_with_dec_edit.pdf
KCBS Cooks Meeting – Saturday, September 23rd, at 5:00 PM
Sunday, September 24th
- 10:30 AM: KCBS Judge’s Meeting
- 12:00 PM: Chicken Category Turn-In
- 12:30 PM: Pork Ribs Category Turn-In
- 1:00 PM: Pork Category Turn-In
- 1:30 PM: Brisket Category Turn-In
- 3:00 PM: KCBS BBQ Contest Awards Ceremony
Judge registration for the 2nd Great Maine Barbecue Challenge is being handled via the Kansas City BBQ Association website.